Sunday, July 29, 2007

Curtains - A murder mystery

I got the chance to see Curtains on Broadway last week. This is David Hyde Pearce's first leading role, alongside Debra Monk (George's mom on Grey's Anatomy). It's a "backstage murder mystery" in which the (really suck and hated) star of a new show is killed during the premier. DHP is the Boston detective brought in to solve the crime. Along the way, he helps re-invent the play and eventually makes his musical debut (oh, and, of course, wins the heart of a lady).

If I'd left after the first act, I would have to say that I'd have given the play a pretty negative review. Although the acting and dance were great, the songs themselves were often less than inspiring.

However, one of the sub-plots is the improvement of the show. As this subplot evolved, so did the quality of the songs. So In the first act, DHP was quite reserved and the show was a little less captivating, but by the middle of the second act, he was running (both) shows and the pace picked up considerably.


I'd recommend it. Not the best show I've ever seen, but well worth you time.